The Strapped Boys are back! This time they sit down and discuss the first course at Pinehurst Resort. According to history, hotel guests introduced the game in the dairy cattle grazing fields, hitting little white balls that disturbed the herd. Pinehurst Founder James Walker Tufts then hired Dr. D. Leroy Culver of New York to design and build a golf course in Pinehurst in 1898. The first clubhouse followed a few months later. Pinehurst’s first golf professional, John Dunn Tucker, was hired in 1899 to add an additional nine. The course later became Pinehurst No. 1, our first 18-hole layout. In 1900, Tufts hired Donald J. Ross, a young Scottish golf professional, to direct golf operations at Pinehurst. Ross completed renovations of No. 1 in 1901 and in 1907 completed work on Pinehurst No. 2. Enjoy!